A significant number of the students in our school come from families whose mother and/or father are employed by the Australian Defence Forces (ADF). Our school has a Defence Transition Mentor, Linda DeBoer, in Thiele who is available to assist our students and Defence Force families with information and support.
Young people respond differently to relocation and change with some making a comfortable transition into the new school whilst others may experience difficulties. Social and emotional factors such as changes in behaviour, loss of self esteem and diminished academic performance may become apparent.
To assist these young people through this transition, the Defence Transition Mentor works as part of Golden Grove High School’s student support team in our Well-being Hub to:
- Support and assist young people with integration into the school community
- Raise on-going awareness of mobility issues facing students
- Assist students to build on their self-confidence and resilience
- Encourage young people to explore options and to make the most of opportunities available to them.
This can include:
- Being a contact to parents of mobile ADF students in the school
- Attend to the welcoming and well-being of students/families
- Assisting students to quickly develop a sense of belonging at Golden Grove High School
- Being available to assist with student achievement when they transition from one state to another
- Supporting students when a Defence parent is on long term deployment, or on training/exercise
- Assisting to build resilience in students with their day-to-day friendships and school activities
- Enhancing the relationship between the school and their Defence community.